Project Management Professional is a highly recognized certification between the professionals in project management across industries. It validates the candidate’s skills, experience and proficiency in project management, which are essential for guiding a team.
- The candidates must have a secondary degree or high school diploma or global equivalent
- The candidates are required to have a total of 7500 hours in leading and directing projects.
- The candidates are required to have a minimum of 35 hours of education on project management.
Projects IN Controlled Environments is one of the most highly demanded certifications across industries all over the world. It makes use of IT frameworks which are highly recognized, such as ITIL. PRINCE2 methodology is considered to be beneficial for the industries as it ensures the success of any project. This methodology can be implemented in both small and big businesses. It is a highly flexible certification which can be utilised by a huge variety or range of standards.
- PRINCE2 Foundation Certification: It does not have any prerequisites. Although, it is advised that you should have the basic knowledge and experience in project management.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification: You must acquire the Foundation certification first. Some other certifications which are required are CAPM, PMP, IPMA Level A, etc.
- The PMP certification is controlled by the PMI, USA, whereas the PRINCE2 certification is controlled by Axelos, UK.
- The PMP certification is a well-known knowledge-based methodology, whereas PRINCE methodology is process-based.
- The role of a project manager is highlighted in PMP, and in PRINCE2 certification, every role is defined in detail.
- There are no further certifications available under PMP whereas there are two certifications under PRINCE2 such as PRINCE2 Foundation and PRINCE2
PMP Certification exam: You can register for the PMP certification exam online on the website of PMI. You are required to fill your application form with the required details and submit it. You’ll be provided with a payment link by the PMI through which you can pay for the examination cost. You can also choose the exam centre and the exam schedule. Candidates can also take up PMI membership before the exam registration. PMI membership provides a list of benefits which includes access to a vast amount of resources and materials, to enhance your communication skills, provides you with opportunities to guide and offers discounts on examination costs by Sprintzeal.
PRINCE2 Certification exam: The registration can be done in two different ways:
- PRINCE2 Foundation: You can give the exam right after completing the training course with an ATO (Accredited Training Organisation)
- PRINCE2 Practitioner: You can take up the online courses provided by professionals and then book the exam.
Cost of Exam:
PMP certification: The cost of PMP certification exam is around $405 for candidates with PMI membership and $555 for candidates without PMI membership.
Prince2 Certification: The cost varies in the majority of the cases.
PMP certification: It is a computer-based examination and the time constraint for this examination is around 4 hours. It includes a total of 400 multiple choice based questions. It does not have any negative marking system for incorrect answers. The passing score of PMP certification is not known although scoring 62% or above might guarantee the certification.
PRINCE2 Foundation: It includes a total of 60 multiple choice based questions, and the time constraint of the exam is 60 minutes. You must achieve a total of 33 marks or above out of 60 marks to successfully pass the exam.
PRINCE2 Practitioner: It is a scenario-based exam. It consists of 68 multiple choice based questions, and the time constraint of this exam is around 60 minutes. You must score 38 marks out of 60 to pass the examination.
The validity of the Certification
PMP certification: PMP certification must be renewed after every three years. You must earn a total of 60 PUDs in the duration of three years to maintain the certification.
PRINCE2 Foundation: It does not require renewal as it is a permanent certification.
PRNCE2 Practitioner: PRINCE2 Practitioner certification must be renewed after every three years. To continue the certification, enrolling on PRINCE2 subscription will be useful.
You can choose the certification which is best suitable for your career. These certifications will allow you to enhance your skills and proficiency in project management.